from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who is trained and licensed to practice dentistry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medical doctor who specializes in dentistry.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One whose business it is to clean, extract, or repair natural teeth, and to make and insert artificial ones; a dental surgeon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One whose profession it is to clean and extract teeth, repair them when diseased, and extract teeth, repair, them when diseased, and replace them when necessary by artificial ones; one who practises dental surgery and mechanical dentistry; a dental surgeon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person qualified to practice dentistry
French dentiste, from dent, tooth, from Old French, from Latin dēns, dent-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French dentiste. (Wiktionary)