from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A partial or complete set of artificial teeth for either the upper or lower jaw. Also called dental plate.
- n. A complete set of removable artificial teeth for both jaws. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a set of teeth, the teeth viewed as a unit
- n. an artificial replacement of one or more teeth
- n. a complete replacement of all teeth in a mouth
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An artificial tooth, block, or set of teeth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The provision of teeth in the jaws; specifically, in dentistry, a set of artificial teeth, a whole set being called a full denture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dental appliance that artificially replaces missing teeth
French, from Old French, from dent, tooth; see dentist.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin dens, dentis ("tooth") + -urus, -ura, -urum, a suffix implying a set. (Wiktionary)