from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instance of misfortune; a mishap.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An accidental mishap or misfortune.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Mischance; misfortune; ill luck; unlucky accident; ill adventure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An unfortunate adventure or hap; a mischance; ill luck.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an instance of misfortune
Middle English misaventure from Old French mesaventure, from mesavenir, to result in misfortune : mes-, badly; see mis-1 + avenir, to turn out (from Latin advenīre, to come to; see advent).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Middle English misaventure, from Old French mesaventure (Wiktionary)