American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An unfortunate occurrence; a mishap.
- n. Bad luck.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An unfortunate chance; a mishap; ill luck; disaster.
- n. Synonyms Mishap, Disaster, etc. See misfortune.
- To chance or happen wrongly or unfortunately; fall out adversely; meet with a mishap; come to ill luck.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Ill luck; ill fortune; mishap.
- v. To happen by mischance.
- n. an instance of misfortune
- n. an unpredictable outcome that is unfortunate
- From Anglo-Norman meschance, Old French meschance, meschaunce. (Wiktionary)
“Debts are mischances, and I am in mischance with you.”
“It will be recalled that the Army, through unpredictable mischance, which is a euphemism for French defection, had lost all its equipment-tanks, guns, transport, and even rifles had gone.”
“They encounter a ship in a lonely solar system, but through a freak mischance, are bonded to the other ship on a path towards the system's star.”
“Can't possibly be Satan, you think He has time for facilitating the tiny sin of being tempted to blaspheme by the mischance of a wayward round?”
“Edwin Bentham was a boy, thrust by mischance into a man's body, -- a boy who could complacently pluck a butterfly, wing from wing, or cower in abject terror before a lean, nervy fellow, not half his size.”
“As mischance would have it, Michael did not reach the ground.”
“Four had perished by mischance in the bleak, uncharted vastness.”
“Her mischance lay in that she bumped her head, and, before she could recover way, Forrest had circled the piano and cornered her under it.”
“And right there Young Dick learned more — the mischance of life and fate; the universe hostile to man; the need to perceive and to act, to see and know, to be sure and quick, to adjust instantly to all instant shiftage of the balance of forces that bear upon the living.”
“There it was his mortal mischance to encounter Otto Frank,”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mischance’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words as I learn them.
words I like with little or no rationalization
Looking for tweets for mischance.