from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A state of hardship or affliction; misfortune.
- n. A calamitous event.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of adverse conditions; state of misfortune or calamity.
- n. An event that is adverse; calamity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Opposition; contrariety.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Adverse fortune or fate; a condition or state marked by misfortune, calamity, distress, or unhappiness.
- n. An unfortunate event or circumstance; an ill chance; a misfortune or calamity: generally in the plural.
- n. Synonyms Trouble, distress, misery, disaster, woe, ill luck.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of misfortune or affliction
- n. a stroke of ill fortune; a calamitous event
From Old French adversité, from Latin adversitātem, the accusative singular of adversitās, from adversus, the perfect passive participle of advertō (" I turn toward"). (Wiktionary)