American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Something that takes place. See Synonyms at occurrence.
- n. An improvised, often spontaneous spectacle or performance, especially one involving audience participation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An occurrence.
- v. present participle of happen.
- adj. slang, of a place Busy, lively; vibrant, dynamic; fashionable.
- adj. slang Trendy, up-to-the-minute.
- n. Something that happens.
- n. A spontaneous or improvised event, especially one that involves audience participation.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. something that happens; an occurrence; an event.
- n. An event that is particularly interesting, noteworthy, or important.
- n. An artistic or entertainment event that is unconventional, sometimes discontinuous, designed to evoke strong emotions, and sometimes involving participation by the audience.
- n. an event that happens
“And I couldn't even use the Gift I'd been born with, the telepathy that would have let me know who to trust, how to protect myself, maybe even let me understand why the things that always seemed to be happening to me kept happening_ ”
“An estate upon condition is one which depends upon the happening _or not happening_ of some event.”
“To go as long as I have without something like this happening is a miracle.”
“Lizzy on Jul 3, 2008 one amendment to my post. i take back saying that the whole of what's "happening" is a joke. there is a strong, clear message behind it.”
“All I see happening is people trying to score political points.”
“I'm not saying it will happen, but the risk of it happening is real and one that you should approach with a little more humility and respect.”
“Whats happening is that these political operatives are using the TEA movement to get themselves elected and continue just as they did before.”
“I object to the term “nationalization” when what was happening is simply a liquidation (more to the point, a quick liquidation in a down market).”
“The only thing that can stop this from happening is an irrational attachment to having a weak public option provision part of a bill right now.”
“The only thing happening is that more of our soldiers are getting killed everyday.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘happening’.
Favorite words from Bob Dylan and the movie "I'm Not There"
A somewhat discriminatory list of words and phrases collected for their euphonic or arcane appeal, interesting etymology, or concise definition of an otherwise unnamed phenomenon or concept.
A list of what are generally-accepted to be hippy words. List names derives from this quote by Germaine Greer, "To see hippikins and hippettes milling miserably around among the Mecca gorillas who ...
Looking for tweets for happening.