American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who owns or manages a shop.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who keeps a shop for the sale of goods; a trader who sells goods in a shop or by retail, in distinction from a merchant, or one who sells by wholesale; in general, a tradesman.
- n. An article that has been long on hand in a shop; as, that chair is an old shopkeeper.
- n. A trader who sells goods in a shop, or by retail; -- in distinction from one who sells by wholesale, or sells door to door.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A trader who sells goods in a shop, or by retail; -- in distinction from one who sells by wholesale.
- n. a merchant who owns or manages a shop
“Later in the day, the shopkeeper is driving home, when he spots the young woman standing waist deep in the water, shotgun in hand.”
“The shopkeeper is wildly defensive, determined not to “let this happen to him again”.”
“But then his brother's death sparks an unexpected friendship with Mrs. Jasmina Ali, the Pakistani shopkeeper from the village.”
“So the shopkeeper is smiling and winking and turning on all his charm and I cannot find a door (and how telling that this Rush fan wasn't perceptive enough to realize I was constantly moving in order to escape?).”
“But six months ago, I started drinking half a glass of my urine every morning and I am practically healed, a shopkeeper from the capital Yaounde wrote to Le Messager newspaper.”
“The peasantry have long since disappeared, the independent shopkeeper is being destroyed, the small businessman is diminishing in numbers.”
“Many a small shopkeeper is utterly ruined by some rehousing scheme which takes no notice of his existence.”
“The thin Chinese shopkeeper types the price, RMB 1,200, on a calculator and hands it over with a flourish.”
“The name used by a squaddie entering one of these shops to the shopkeeper was always “Muckerjhee”, no matter what his real name.”
“I found, to my inexpressible satisfaction, the shopkeeper was my countryman.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shopkeeper’.
I'm fond of many words, but these are definitely keepers.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Looking for tweets for shopkeeper.