from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that owns and rents land, buildings, or dwelling units.
- n. A man who runs a rooming house or an inn; an innkeeper.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who owns and rents land such as a house, apartment, or condo.
- n. The owner or manager of a public house.
- n. A shark, imagined as the owner of the surf to be avoided.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The lord of a manor, or of land; the owner of land or houses which he leases to a tenant or tenants.
- n. The master of an inn or of any form of lodging house.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The lord of land or of a manor; one of whom land is held subject to the payment or performance of rent or service; the owner or holder of a tenement, to whom the tenant pays rent.
- n. The master or proprietor of an inn, or of a lodging-house or boarding-house; a host.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a landowner who leases to others
Sorry, no etymologies found.