from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who lives on income from property or investments.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An individual who receives an income, usually interest, rent, dividends, or capital gains, from his or her assets and investments.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who has a fixed income, as from lands, stocks, or the like.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who has a fixed income, as from lands, stocks, etc.; a fund-holder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone whose income is from property rents or bond interest and other investments
French, from rente, yearly income, from Old French; see rent1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French. (Wiktionary)