from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A confection made from a sugar or honey paste into which nuts are mixed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A confection of honey or sugar and roasted nuts, often with other ingredients.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cake, sweetmeat, or confection made with almonds or other nuts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A confection made usually of chopped almonds and pistachio-nuts embedded in a sweet paste.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. nuts or fruit pieces in a sugar paste
French, from Provençal, from nougo, nut, from Old Provençal noga, from Vulgar Latin *nuca, from Latin nux, nuc-, nut.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French nougat, from Occitan nougat, variant of Old Provençal nogat, from noga ("nut"), from Latin nux ("nut"). Compare Spanish nuégado. (Wiktionary)