American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A confection made from a sugar or honey paste into which nuts are mixed.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A confection made usually of chopped almonds and pistachio-nuts embedded in a sweet paste.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A cake, sweetmeat, or confection made with almonds or other nuts.
- n. nuts or fruit pieces in a sugar paste
- From French nougat, from Occitan nougat, variant of Old Provençal nogat, from noga ("nut"), from Latin nux ("nut"). Compare Spanish nuégado. (Wiktionary)
- French, from Provençal, from nougo, nut, from Old Provençal noga, from Vulgar Latin *nuca, from Latin nux, nuc-, nut. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“So I should have just gotten the nougat, but the nougat was the reach flavor to the gianduja standby.”
“Very good with cream cake, and also with strawberry nougat, which is quite sweet and still fruity.”
“-- The confection known as nougat consists usually of a paste filled with chopped nuts.”
“The filling - described as nougat - is predominantly a hazelnut paste with a little bit of cinnamon.”
“There's a parallel universe here: people know less about what constitutes "nougat" than they do about the far reaches of our galaxy.”
“Later cultural exchanges brought the treat to France, where it became "nougat," and the recipe switched from calling for ground walnuts to ground almonds.”
“(in this case a bar of so called "nougat" which was really just a lump of sugar).”
“Fitz said there will be fish and lamb and some almond nougat thing.”
“The first I heard from time to time, in a whisper, from the lips of a grandmother who had known the trees with garlands, the traditional nougat candy and turkey.”
“MAKES ABOUT 45-50 PIECESmarzipan 400gicing sugar to dust soft Danish nougat or hazelnut paste 200gCut the marzipan in three and roll out one piece on a work surface dusted with icing sugar until the marzipan is about 5mm thick.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nougat’.
Another range of words from the intermediate to the advanced speller's level.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
caramel gets 48 hits
chocolate gets 112 hits
nonpareil 83 hits
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
As much fun to say as they are to eat.
Concise words to sprinkle in my prose.
Looking for tweets for nougat.