from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An appliance, cabinet, or room for storing food or other substances at a low temperature.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A household appliance used for keeping food fresh by refrigeration (short form fridge).
- n. One who has a chilling influence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A box or room for keeping food or other articles cool, usually by means of ice.
- n. An apparatus for rapidly cooling heated liquids or vapors, connected with a still, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which refrigerates, cools, or keeps cool; specifically, any vessel, chamber, or apparatus designed to keep its contents at a temperature little if at all above the freezing-point.
- n. A feed-water heater, formerly used on ships, in which the boiler-feed was heated by the water or brine blown out of the boiler.
- n. In heat-engines, a device or substance for absorbing the heat generated during the compression stage of the cycle.
- n. In steam-engines, an obsolete device which was used for cooling the injection water for a marine condensing engine by cold sea-water. The surface-condenser renders this unnecessary.
- n. A machine for cooling air or fluids, in which the fluid or gas is compressed, cooled, and then allowed to expand, lowering its temperature in this last stage, and withdrawing heat from objects warmer than itself.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. white goods in which food can be stored at low temperatures
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Leo Kanner in a 1949 paper identified "parental coldness" and a "lack of maternal warmth" in the parents of autistic children, leading to the term refrigerator mother.
Just checked and the jar in the refrigerator is almost empty.
In high-heat areas, the refrigerator is a good place to keep it.
The Luttrells 'downstairs refrigerator is 14 years old, which means it's much less efficient than newer models, Luxton says.
Log in to Reply except that 30% of the compressors just said they'll quit if this refrigerator is sold.
Toss venison with marinade, cover, and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to overnight.
Put the bag in refrigerator for several hours, turning occasionally.
Mix well, pour over meat, and let set in refrigerator over night
Since this frosting contains cream, the frosted cupcakes should be stored in refrigerator until shortly before serving.
Adding insulation to the walls of the refrigerator is mostly a waste of time: the amount of heat actually lost to the walls is negligible.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.