from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cool or chill (a substance).
- transitive v. To preserve (food) by chilling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To cool down, make cool.
- v. Now specifically, to keep cool by containing within a refrigerator.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To cause to become cool; to make or keep cold or cool.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cool; make cold; allay the heat of.
- Cooled; made or kept cool; allayed.
- To grow cold; become cold; freeze.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. preserve by chilling
- v. cool or chill in or as if in a refrigerator
Latin refrīgerāre, refrīgerāt- : re-, re- + frīgerāre, to make cool (from frīgus, frīgor-, coldness).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From participle stem of Latin refrigerare ("to make cold"), from re- + frigerare. (Wiktionary)