from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Electricity Relating to two alternating currents with phases differing by 90°.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having two alternating currents whose phases differ by 90°
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as diphase, diphaser.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Two-cycle; having two phases or stages in a complete cycle, usually an expansion and a compression phase.
- In electricity, of or pertaining to an alternating-current generator which produces two currents differing in phase by half a cycle, or to a circuit carrying such currents, or to a motor, transformer, or any electrical device used on a two-phase circuit. See quarter-phase.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Rep. Boehner R., Ohio briefed Republican lawmakers on his two-phase plan to trim as much as $3 trillion from the U.S. deficit and lift the debt ceiling.
As part of the deal, the TSE plans to buy as much as 66.6% of OSE's shares in a two-phase process that will keep the OSE shares listed.
He said the two short-listed companies refused to abide by the guidelines of mobilizing equipment and workforce within a month of the award of the contract, and that the companies wanted to develop the block in a single stage rather than Coal India's plan for a two-phase development.
NEW DELHI --State-run Steel Authority of India plans to launch the first of its two-phase follow-on share sale June 14, Chairman C.S. Verma said Monday.
The NRC has announced a two-phase response plan to Fukushima: a 90-day assessment followed by a more in-depth review.
Paulson said he sees the PGE renovations as a two-phase project and may come back to the city in later years for more upgrades, when urban renewal might play a role.
The documents, some of which are dated May 29, show a $36.9 million total cost for the two-phase project, but of course, there will be lots of overruns.
Drivers could be forgiven for having forgotten the new cost: The increase is the second of a two-phase hike adopted by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority and approved by former Gov.
The first phase was intended as the cheaper and simpler of the project's two-phase timeline: a series of improvements, with full funding already secured, that would make it easier for current Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, Long Island Rail Road and New York City subway passengers to circulate in the cramped Eighth Avenue station.
*** Under the two-phase Boehner plan, Congress would authorize $1 trillion in new debt in return for $1.2 trillion in budget cuts over the next decade.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.