from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Injury or destruction of skin and underlying tissue, most often that of the nose, ears, fingers, or toes, resulting from prolonged exposure to freezing or subfreezing temperatures.
- transitive v. To injure or damage by freezing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The freezing, or effect of a freezing, of some part of the body.
- v. To expose to the effect of frost, or a frosty air; to blight or nip with frost.
- v. To engage in winter sailboating.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The freezing, or effect of a freezing, of some part of the body, as the ears, fingers, toes, or nose. Severe frostbite can lead to the loss of fingers or toes.
- transitive v. To expose to the effect of frost, or a frosty air; to blight or nip with frost.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A condition or the effect of being partly or slightly frozen, as a part of the body.
- To affect with or as with frost-bite; nip or wither, as with frost.
- To expose to the effect of frost or of a frosty atmosphere.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. destruction of tissue by freezing and characterized by tingling, blistering and possibly gangrene
frost + bite (Wiktionary)