from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Asphyxia—a condition in which an extreme decrease in the concentration of oxygen in the body accompanied by an increase in the concentration of carbon dioxide leads to loss of consciousness or death.
- n. A particular act of death or killing by means of asphyxia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of suffocating, or the state of being suffocated; death caused by smothering or choking.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of suffocating, choking, or stifling.
- n. The condition of being suffocated, choked, or stifled.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the condition of being deprived of oxygen (as by having breathing stopped)
- n. killing by depriving of oxygen
From Latin suffocatio. (Wiktionary)