from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of verifying or the state of being verified.
- n. A confirmation of truth or authority.
- n. The evidence for such a confirmation.
- n. A formal assertion of validity.
- n. Law An affidavit that attests to the truth of a pleading.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of verifying.
- n. The state of being verified.
- n. Confirmation; authentication.
- n. A formal phrase used in concluding a plea, to denote confirmation by evidence.
- n. The operation of testing the equation of a problem, to see whether it truly expresses the conditions of the problem.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of verifying, or the state of being verified; confirmation; authentication.
- n. Confirmation by evidence.
- n. A formal phrase used in concluding a plea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or process of verbifying. Trans. Amer. Philol. Ass., XV. 32, A pp.
- n. The act of verifying, or proving to be true; the act of confirming or establishing the authenticity of any powers granted, or of any transaction, by legal or competent evidence; the state of being verified; authentication; confirmation.
- n. In law: A short affidavit appended to a pleading or petition to the effect that the statements in it are true.
- n. At common law, the formal statement at the end of a plea, “and this he is ready to verify.”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. additional proof that something that was believed (some fact or hypothesis or theory) is correct
- n. (law) an affidavit attached to a statement confirming the truth of that statement
Wright used the term verification himself and understood it to refer to the objective method of empiricism.
Appropriately enough, my word verification is slytott.
Mmmm. My word verification is slizeduo ... it sounds very HP.
And, somewhat ironically, my word verification is "notion."
(BTW, my word verification is "vicerism," which somehow seems appropriate.)
Okay, I'm not lying or joking in any way ... my word verification is "dudeness."
Apropos of nothing, my word verification is "babbils".
In an unrelated note, my word verification is "hydrosyn," which I will define as "any evil act performed using water."
Interesting ... p.s. my word verification is 3 letters away from 'cocksukers' nice!
(Huh, my word verification is ALMOST koala - koalo)
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.