from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thing that serves to bear witness, confirm or authenticate.
- n. A confirmation or authentication.
- n. The process, performed by accountants or auditors, of providing independent opinion on published financial and other business information of a business, public agency, or other organization.
- n. An appearance in print or otherwise recorded on a permanent medium.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of attesting; testimony; witness; a solemn or official declaration, verbal or written, in support of a fact; evidence. The truth appears from the attestation of witnesses, or of the proper officer. The subscription of a name to a writing as a witness, is an attestation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of attesting; a declaration, verbal or written, in support of a fact; evidence; testimony.
- n. The administration of an oath, as to a military recruit. See attest, 4.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the action of bearing witness
- n. the evidence by which something is attested
From Middle French attestation (Wiktionary)