from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of authorizing. See Synonyms at permission.
- n. Something that authorizes; a sanction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Permission.
- n. An act of authorizing.
- n. (A document giving) formal sanction, permission or warrant.
- n. Permission, possibly limited, to spend funds for a specific budgetary purpose.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of giving authority or legal power; establishment by authority; sanction or warrant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of authorizing; the act of giving authority or legal power; establishment by authority: as, “the authorization of laws,” Motley. Also spelled authorisation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the power or right to give orders or make decisions
- n. the act of conferring legality or sanction or formal warrant
- n. a document giving an official instruction or command
- n. official permission or approval
authorize + -ation (Wiktionary)