from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of enfranchising
- n. The release from slavery
- n. The investiture with any of several municipal privileges
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Releasing from slavery or custody.
- n. Admission to the freedom of a corporation or body politic; investiture with the privileges of free citizens.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of setting free; release from slavery or from custody; enlargement.
- n. The admission of a person or persons to the freedom of a state or corporation; investiture with the privileges of free citizens; the incorporating of a person into any society or body politic; now, specifically, bestowment of the electoral franchise or the right of voting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a statutory right or privilege granted to a person or group by a government (especially the rights of citizenship and the right to vote)
- n. the act of certifying or bestowing a franchise on
- n. freedom from political subjugation or servitude
Sorry, no etymologies found.