from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Precedence, especially established by order of importance or urgency.
- n. An established right to precedence.
- n. An authoritative rating that establishes such precedence.
- n. A preceding or coming earlier in time.
- n. Something afforded or deserving prior attention.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An item's relative importance.
- n. A goal of a person or an organisation.
- n. A superior claim to use by virtue of being validly published at an earlier date.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being prior or antecedent in time, or of preceding something else.
- n. Precedence; superior rank.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being prior or antecedent, or of preceding something else: as, priority of birth: opposed to posteriority.
- n. Precedence in place or rank; the having of certain rights before another.
- n. In law, a precedence or preference, as when one debt is paid in priority to others, or when an execution is said to lose its priority by the neglect of the party to enforce it.
- n. Apriority.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. preceding in time
- n. status established in order of importance or urgency
* Set the email priority function set_mail_priority ($priority = MAIL_NORMAL_PRIORITY) $this - > mail_priority = $priority;
The term priority was beginning to lose its meaning, and I'd encountered this many times before.
Their main priority is to make everything that becomes successful a franchise.
Jig's scrawny (even for a goblin) but smart (for a goblin), and as he gets himself further and further into heroicstrouble his main priority is just keeping himself alive while coping with the totally alien (and to his gobliny viewpoint, * incredibly stupid* and yet somehow effective) adventuring party.
You want to have fun, but your main priority is the other 24 guys you left behind.
Anyway … making the time to write and setting it as a priority is a brilliant motivator.
These people, Uzi Arad and others, their priority is actually not the Palestinian issue, '' Shatayeh said of Netanyahu's national security adviser, who has said publicly in recent months that it was a mistake to try to negotiate a peace deal with the Palestinians.
Even when I just walk the dog or sweep the steps or sit on the deck for lunch or play outside with the children, I know that people see me and they know that my priority is to be at home.
If his priority is a progressive agenda he'll fail.
Bowie, Md.: Just watched Eric Cantor (VA) on MSNBC who said that a priority is the extension of the Bush tax cuts, including those for the wealthiest Americans at a cost of $700 billion.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.