from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The placing of something in front of something else, especially of words in a sentence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The placing of a before another, which, by ordinary rules, ought to follow it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In grammar, the placing of a word before another word which, by ordinary rules, it ought to follow.
- n. In botany, the non-alternation of the members of contiguous circles in a flower, the corresponding parts being opposite to each other: otherwise called superposition.
- n. In pathology, a forward displacement in the horizontal plane, especially a misplacement of the uterus.
From Latin anteponere. (Wiktionary)