from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A statement or other indication of policy or procedure by which to determine a course of action: guidelines for the completion of tax returns.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A non-specific rule or principle that provides direction to action or behaviour.
- n. A plan or explanation to guide one in setting standards or determining a course of action.
- n. A light line, used in lettering, to help align the text.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a formal rule describing how a situation must be handled; -- used as a direction to administrators from superiors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a light line that is used in lettering to help align the letters
- n. a detailed plan or explanation to guide you in setting standards or determining a course of action
- n. a rule or principle that provides guidance to appropriate behavior
From guide + line (Wiktionary)