from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of a scene or picture that is nearest to and in front of the viewer.
- n. See forefront.
- transitive v. To place in the foreground; call attention to: "He is currently at work on a trilogy of pieces . . . which foreground the Algerian War” ( Eleanor Heartney).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The elements of an image which lie closest to the picture plane.
- n. The subject of an image, often depicted at the bottom in a two-dimensional work.
- n. the application the user is currently interacting with; the application window that appears in front of all others.
- v. To place in the foreground (physically or metaphorically)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. On a painting, and sometimes in a bas-relief, mosaic picture, or the like, that part of the scene represented, which is nearest to the spectator, and therefore occupies the lowest part of the work of art itself. Cf. distance, n., 6.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That part of a landscape or other scene, as actually perceived or as represented in a picture, which is nearest the eye of the observer: opposed to background or distance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the part of a scene that is near the viewer
- n. (computer science) a window for an active application
- v. move into the foreground to make more visible or prominent
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Drying stage in foreground is floored Arikara fashion with a mat of willows.
The large bottle in the foreground is a reference not so much to obstemiousness or moderate consumption, but rather to the fact that Rémy Martin (now Rémy Cointreau) were a loyal and longstanding client of Mallesons, and their proprietors, M. and Mme. André Hériard Dubreuil, old and generous family friends.
Prominently displayed in the foreground is another Snoopy rod.
In the foreground is the house with Frieda and Hattie sitting on the front steps.
I'm also willing to bet (read: positive) that the blurry "pen" in the foreground is a Wacom tablet pen, which normally wouldn't be on the front of a desk, as it's a graphic design pen used to write on computer tablets, not paper.
In the foreground is a hand-carved statue from Ghana of a Sankofa bird.
In the foreground is the cup to my mini food processor; inside it is minced garlic, fresh ginger and Sichuan preserved vegetable, which is a salty, spicy cabbage-like critter.
In the foreground is a cult whose mission is to prevent humanity from artificially evolving itself into a post-sapient species that builds spaceships the way beavers build dams.
The large gate in the foreground is the entrance to the grounds of Government House.
Blue Sleeve in foreground - Unknown, but I feel like I should know this one too.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.