from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. A surrounding area, especially of a city.
- n.pl. Surroundings; environment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The surroundings; the environment.
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of environ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. The parts or places which surround another place, or lie in its neighborhood; suburbs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Places lying circumjacent; surrounding parts or localities: as, the environs of a city or town.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the area in which something exists or lives
- n. an outer adjacent area of any place
French, from Old French, pl. of environ, circuit, from environ, round about; see environ.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)