from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Close proximity, particularly in reference to home
- n. and, by extension, its inhabitants
- n. a division of a municipality or region, formally or informally divided
- n. The quality or condition of being a neighbour; the state of being or dwelling near; proximity.
- n. The infinitesimal open set of all points that may be reached directly from a given point; The set of all the vertices adjacent to a given vertex
- n. The disposition becoming a neighbour; neighbourly kindness or good will.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a surrounding or nearby region
- n. people living near one another
In a properly organised rural neighbourhood could be developed that higher kind of attraction which is suggested by the very word _neighbourhood_.
I should also say that I often use the term neighbourhood because it captures the sense of proximity, friendship and mutual assistance which characterises
Bill, the term neighbourhood is used, but no definition is given.
Normally I would welcome anyone who asked to join our table with open arms, and then, after the perfunctory small talk (I live in a very friendly neighbourhood), go about the business of eating with my girl because my neighbourhood is actually friendlier than I am.
And, Yes, challenging our own perceptions and taking into account the rights of * everyone* in a neighbourhood is also valid.
In certain cities the neighbourhood is the real detective police, noting every action and abating scandals (such as orgies, etc.) with a strong hand and with the full consent of public opinion and of the authorities.
However, the breed du jour for people who want to intimidate their neighbourhood is the pit bull, so the number of pit bull attacks is growing.
There are many things that are better here, a strong sense of community in the neighbourhood, is just one of them.
Our neighbourhood is barely navigable because of massive piles of snow on each side of the street.
Ever noticed how street lights in residential neighbourhood is different from what GTA cities East of Milton have?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.