from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Superiority or decisive advantage; domination: "Germany only awaits trade revival to gain an immense mercantile ascendancy” ( Winston S. Churchill).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process or period of one's ascent
- n. Supremacy; superiority; dominant control; the quality of being in the ascendant
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as ascendency.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being in the ascendant; governing or controlling influence; domination.
- n. Synonyms Influence, Authority, Ascendancy, etc. (see authority), mastery, dominion, superiority, advantage, upper hand.
- n. Same as ancestry.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state that exists when one person or group has power over another
From ascendant + -cy (Wiktionary)