from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of surpassing usual limits
- n. the state of being beyond the range of normal perception
- n. the state of being free from the constraints of the material world, as in the case of a deity
- n. superior excellence; supereminence
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The quality or state of being transcendent; superior excellence; supereminence.
- Elevation above truth; exaggeration.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character of being transcendent; elevation; loftiness; exaggeration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of excelling or surpassing or going beyond usual limits
- n. a state of being or existence above and beyond the limits of material experience
He reserves the term transcendence to describe this act of "world-making."
And it seems strangely appropriate also that what goes with this transcendence is a balancing step towards humanity -- an ability to age and die but also an ability to have children.
That kind of transcendence is our only hope in a dangerous age like this.
It's artful, but calling it an "art game," an experiment, a transcendence, is a bit of a misnomer.
Paradoxically, Kierkegaard says the ultimate the transcendence is to choose the religious life, and gay men have to fight for this option in the Christian and Judeo traditions.
Desire, not least in matters of racial transcendence, is what secured Mr. Obama's nomination and election.
What greater act of transcendence is there than projecting your love and hope onto others?
But let me ask this: does Christianity offer transcendence from the Karmic cycle?
A false transcendence is given to things which are very much of this world.
While I do believe that learning the basic moves very well, so to speak, can enable a qualitative transformation, the subjective sense of transcendence is in itself no guarantee of quality.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.