from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Buddhism One who has attained enlightenment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. one who has attained enlightenment; a Buddhist saint
- n. one of the stages of the ascetic's spiritual evolution, when all passions (anger, ego, deception, greed, attachment, hatred and ignorance) are destroyed; arhanta
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a Buddhist who has attained nirvana.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The highest rank of Buddhist saintship; specifically, one of the original five hundred disciples of Gautama Buddha. Also Arahat, Rahat, and Arhan, Rahan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Buddhist who has attained nirvana
Sanskrit, from present participle of arhati, he deserves.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Sanskrit अर्हत् (árhat, "enlightened one, holy one"), originally "worthy of worship". (Wiktionary)