from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process or procedure for allocating things, especially money or other resources.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of putting one thing to another; a placing; disposition; arrangement.
- n. An allotment or apportionment.
- n. The admission of an item in an account, or an allowance made upon an account; -- a term used in the English exchequer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of allocating, allotting, or assigning; allotment; assignment; apportionment: as, the allocation of shares in a public company.
- n. . An allowance made upon accounts in the exchequer.
- n. The act of locating or fixing in place; the state of being located or fixed; disposition; arrangement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a share set aside for a specific purpose
- n. the act of distributing by allotting or apportioning; distribution according to a plan
- n. (computer science) the assignment of particular areas of a magnetic disk to particular data or instructions
From Middle French allocacion, from Medieval Latin allocātiō. (Wiktionary)