from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of subverting a vote.
- v. Present participle of fix.
- v. Going; preparing; ready.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of making fixed.
- n. That which is fixed; a fixture.
- n. Arrangements; embellishments; trimmings; accompaniments.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of making firm, stable, steadfast, or secure; the act of determining, settling, establishing, or rendering permanent; consolidation; establishment; the process by which anything is fixed.
- n. The act of repairing or putting to rights or in order.
- n. In machinery, a piece of cast-iron adapted to carry pillow-blocks and the like.
- n. In metallurgy, the coating of the lining of the revolving chamber of the Danks furnace (see puddle) with a second or working lining, accomplished by covering the first lining with a melted coating formed of hydrated non-silicious ore of iron mixed with scrap-iron; also, the coating so applied. This fixing is analogous to the fettling of the ordinary puddling-furnace.
- n. Establishment in life; the act of setting up in housekeeping, or of furnishing a house.
- n. plural Things needed for fixing, preparing, or putting in order; arrangements; embellishments; trimmings; garnishings of any kind: as, railroad fixings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the sterilization of an animal
- n. the act of putting something in working order again
- n. (histology) the preservation and hardening of a tissue sample to retain as nearly as possible the same relations they had in the living body
- n. restraint that attaches to something or holds something in place
Sorry, no etymologies found.
My 12 point plan talks about everything from police officers living in the City, to working with the Fulton and Dekalb court systems, to what I call fixing broken windows on steroids.
So this is what we call fixing the roof while the sun is shining.
Obama claims to be fixing the economy but the only thing he seems intent on "fixing", is the blame.
After some constructive criticism from CBO and Blue Dogs Democrats, the President sees no problem in 'fixing' the bill, of course he and those who support him are going to show their points very clear, but they are open to a REAL debate about the bill.
After repeated setbacks in fixing the problems, the company has made major changes to its board and started a restructuring plan that includes job cuts and shedding noncore businesses.
He said the IMF also wants to play a greater role in fixing other global imbalances, including the hoarding of cash reserves by some countries, such as China, Japan and Brazil, and market-distorting capital flows.
That is the essence of Progressivism and offers a stark contrast to the party of no ideas and no true interest in fixing the problem.
If we were to concede that an area is indeed blighted, and the state needs a role in fixing the problem, the state could take the land, therefore assembling the parcel into a potentially more valuable one, and then offer it to the highest bidder.
Would that these millions of illegals, and their apologists, put forth as much effort in fixing their homes as they do in breaking our laws and creating excuses for doing so.
And so they have no incentive to begin fixing the problem now.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.