from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of attributing, especially the act of establishing a particular person as the creator of a work of art.
- n. Something, such as a quality or characteristic, that is related to a particular possessor; an attribute.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of attributing something.
- n. An explicit or formal acknowledgment of ownership or authorship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of attributing or ascribing, as a quality, character, or function, to a thing or person, an effect to a cause.
- n. That which is ascribed or attributed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of attributing, in any sense; ascription.
- n. That which is ascribed; attribute.
- n. Authority or function granted, as to a ruler, minister, or court.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. assigning some quality or character to a person or thing
- n. assigning to a cause or source
From Middle French attribution, from Latin attributio. (Wiktionary)