from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To estimate or calculate in advance, especially to predict (weather conditions) by analysis of meteorological data. See Synonyms at predict.
- transitive v. To serve as an advance indication of; foreshadow: price increases that forecast inflation.
- intransitive v. To calculate or estimate something in advance; predict the future.
- n. A prediction, as of coming events or conditions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To estimate how a condition will be in the future.
- n. An estimation of a future condition.
- n. A prediction of the weather.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Previous contrivance or determination; predetermination.
- n. A calculation predicting future events; the foresight of consequences, and provision against them; prevision; premeditation.
- intransitive v. To contrive or plan beforehand.
- transitive v. To plan beforehand; to scheme; to project.
- transitive v. To foresee; to calculate beforehand, so as to provide for.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cast or contrive beforehand; plan before execution.
- To consider or calculate beforehand; discern beforehand.
- To make a plan or scheme in advance; contrive something beforehand.
- To foresee; surmise.
- n. Previous contrivance or provision; predetermination.
- n. Foresight; prescience; prevision.
- n. Synonyms Prudence, Providence, etc. (see wisdom); forethought, anticipation.
- n. Specifically, in meteorology, a statement of the expected weather. Official daily weather forecasts were first published by Fitzroy in England in 1861.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. predict in advance
- v. indicate by signs
- n. a prediction about how something (as the weather) will develop
- v. judge to be probable
If the forecast is accurate, temperatures will be dipping down below zero (as low as -10 F) which could be devastating for vineyards.
Still, the company cautioned that this forecast is ambitious due to the strong euro and rising generic-drug competition.
Though the long-term forecast is hazy for players who have been linchpins for one of the decade's most successful teams, there's reason for optimism in the short run.
The weather forecast is the same over half the year: "Sunny tomorrow with coastal fog extending inland night and morning."
Now, these numbers that we're looking at here; this is what we call the forecast heat index.
Also implicit in our forecast is the assumption that Canada will continue to maintain a climate receptive to foreign capital.
Manages budget, short term forecast and strategy plan processes.
However, the EIA short term forecast for WTI oil prices for the next couple of years still shows high oil prices.
"If they are profitable companies that have a future, have a footprint and are providing us with a medium to long-term forecast, that is positive economically for Ontario, that's the circumstance in which Ontario and Canada would enter into an agreement."
In New Jersey, the economic forecast is particularly onerous, said Jeffrey Otteau, a real estate analyst.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.