from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of representing, suggesting, or imagining in advance.
- n. Something that prefigures; a foreshadowing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vague advance representation or suggestion of something.
- n. Something that prefigures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of prefiguring, or the state of being prefigured.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of prefiguring, or the state of being prefigured; antecedent representation by similitude.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of providing vague advance indications; representing beforehand
- n. an example that prefigures or foreshadows what is to come
From Late Latin praefigurationem, nominative form of praefiguratio. (Wiktionary)