from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of apportioning.
- n. The condition of having been apportioned.
- n. The proportional distribution of the number of members of the U.S. House of Representatives on the basis of the population of each state.
- n. Allotment of direct taxes on the basis of state population.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of apportioning or the state of being apportioned
- n. The distribution of members of the House of Representatives according to the population of the various states
- n. The allocation of direct taxation according to the population of the various states
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of apportioning; a dividing into just proportions or shares; a division or shares; a division and assignment, to each proprietor, of his just portion of an undivided right or property.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of apportioning; a dividing into portions or shares; a dividing and assigning of a just and equitable portion to each person interested or entitled to participate in any claim, right, property, or charge.
- n. In the United States: The distribution of representation in the federal House of Representatives, and in the houses of the different State legislatures.
- n. The allotment of direct taxes on the basis of population: a Congressional power rarely exercised.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of distributing by allotting or apportioning; distribution according to a plan
Sorry, no etymologies found.