from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being preoccupied; absorption of the attention or intellect.
- n. Something that preoccupies or engrosses the mind: Money was their chief preoccupation.
- n. Occupation of a place in advance; preoccupancy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being preoccupied or an idea that preoccupies the mind; enthrallment.
- n. The act of occupying something before someone else.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of preoccupying, or taking possession of beforehand; the state of being preoccupied; prepossession.
- n. Anticipation of objections.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of preoccupying, or seizing beforehand; possession gained in advance.
- n. The act of anticipating; anticipation.
- n. The state of being preoccupied; prior engrossment or absorption.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an idea that preoccupies the mind and holds the attention
- n. the mental state of being preoccupied by something
- n. the act of taking occupancy before someone else does
pre- + occupation (Wiktionary)