American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Pathological obsession with one idea or subject.
- n. Intent concentration on or exaggerated enthusiasm for a single subject or idea.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Insanity in which there is a more or less complete limitation of the perverted mental action to a particular field, as a specific delusion, or an impulse to do some particular thing. The other mental functions may show some signs of degeneration.
- n. In popular use, an unreasonable zeal for or interest in some one thing; a craze.
- n. Synonyms Lunacy, Derangement, etc. See insanity.
- n. Excessive interest or concentration on a singular object or subject.
- n. A pathological obsession with one person, thing or idea.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Derangement of the mind in regard of a single subject only; also, such a concentration of interest upon one particular subject or train of ideas to show mental derangement.
- n. a mania restricted to one thing or idea
- Either: (Wiktionary)
“It is the sort of malady which we call monomania," said the doctor.”
““He never could be cured, the doctors said, for he had what they called monomania, — was always talking about his wife and darter that somebody had stole away years ago, and plannin 'revenge on that somebody.”
“He never could be cured, the doctors said, for he had what they called monomania, -- was always talking about his wife and darter that somebody had stole away years ago, and plannin 'revenge on that somebody.”
“The verdict of literary criticism is that of the medical art -- he was insane; and to what extent this mania acted as a monomania, that is, how far he was himself deceived, the world can never know.”
“And his monomania was the ruin of this woman who had taken from him in the very moment of consummation all that he had ever really loved in the world -- a thin, awkward, freckled, red-haired country girl, in whom, for the first and only time in all his life, he saw the vague and phantom promise of that trinity which he had never known -- a wife, a child, and a home.”
“Coincidently, Female Science Professor posted today about her disagreement with a colleague who wanted his female grad students to exhibit more "monomania" towards science.”
“This is not a particularly original argument, although in Mr. Freeman's case it becomes a kind of monomania, in which Israel is always the warmonger, always slapping away Arab hands extended in peace.”
“Not because of Wright's "monomania" (to use another canard from Stanley's article), but because liberals and Democrats are too ashamed of their own slightly crazed grandpas-in-the-attic to understand how important it is to defend them (needless to say, GOPers understand very well).”
“Wilma, temperamental and overworked, had let it become a kind of monomania with her.”
“There are grounds, however, for doubting whether Shelley was not subject to a kind of monomania upon this and similar points.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘monomania’.
mental disorder; excessive craving
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
These words have been posted on my vocabulary tumblr, wickedcoolwords.tumblr.com!
Words full of m's and n's are a little-known cure for sadness.
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
words learnt from the Internet
Random vocabulary words that I am particularly fond of.
1999 Â· 2000 Â· 2001 Â· 2002 Â· 2003 Â· 2004 Â· 2005 Â· 2006 Â· 2007 Â· 2008
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
"Fornication" is not equal to "formication".
Words with funny meaning, spelling or both.
Looking for tweets for monomania.