from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Excessive compensation, especially the exertion of effort in excess of that needed to compensate for a physical or psychological characteristic or defect.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An excess amount provided in one area in an effort to overcome a perceived lack in another area.
- n. Excessive pay or reward provided for work performed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. excessive compensation
- n. (psychiatry) an attempt to overcome a real or imagined defect or unwanted trait by overly exaggerating its opposite
Sorry, no etymologies found.