from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The consideration of an abstract thing as if it were concrete, or of an inanimate object as if it were living.
- n. The consideration of a human being as an impersonal object.
- n. Process that makes out of a non-computable/addressable object a computable/addressable one.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Materialization; objectivization; externalization; conversion of the abstract into the concrete; the regarding or treating of an idea as a thing, or as if a tiling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. representing a human being as a physical thing deprived of personal qualities or individuality
- n. regarding something abstract as a material thing
First attested around 1846; a macaronic calque of German Verdinglichung, using -ification ("making") for ver- + -lich + -ung, and Latin res ("thing") for Ding ("thing") (Wiktionary)