from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The estate or domain of a feudal lord.
- n. Something over which one dominant person or group exercises control: "long the independent head of a powerful fiefdom within the Police Department” ( David Burnham).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The estate controlled by a feudal lord; a fief.
- n. Any organization in the control of a dominant individual. Primarily used with a critical or pejorative connotation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the domain controlled by a feudal lord
- n. an organization that is controlled by a dominant person or group
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Mayor Daley thinks that his fiefdom is exempt from the Founding documents.
Like "banana republic," the word fiefdom is not meant to be friendly, and, by the way, is quite inaccurate when applied to Connecticut towns.
His fiefdom was the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit, hers the Virginia medical examiner's system.
Mayawati makes no secret of the fact that she would like to cross the Yamuna River, which separates her fiefdom from the national capital in New Delhi, to be elected the first Dalit prime minister.
Brown's attitude is typical of this, and I live in his "fiefdom"!
Scotland is what Germans call Amigoland the kind of fiefdom the CSU has made Bavaria by hook and by crook
It was described to the engineer, and he was the de-facto explainer for the group, but seriously Childs was working for the gov't too long and had too many bad habits of "fiefdom" creation that are everywhere in city and state organizations.
Singh, a Lok Sabha member, has accused Kumar of overlooking genuine party workers and treating the party as his "fiefdom".
Consolidation of the two cities has been blocked in the past because of "fiefdom" protection.
The partnership mentality exists there in a huge way, versus this "fiefdom" or "silo" mentality where people talk about "their business."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.