American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The estate or domain of a feudal lord.
- n. Something over which one dominant person or group exercises control: "long the independent head of a powerful fiefdom within the Police Department” ( David Burnham).
- n. The estate controlled by a feudal lord; a fief.
- n. by extension Any organization in the control of a dominant individual. Primarily used with a critical or pejorative connotation.
- n. the domain controlled by a feudal lord
- n. an organization that is controlled by a dominant person or group
“Mayor Daley thinks that his fiefdom is exempt from the Founding documents.”
“Like "banana republic," the word fiefdom is not meant to be friendly, and, by the way, is quite inaccurate when applied to Connecticut towns.”
“His fiefdom was the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit, hers the Virginia medical examiner's system.”
“Mayawati makes no secret of the fact that she would like to cross the Yamuna River, which separates her fiefdom from the national capital in New Delhi, to be elected the first Dalit prime minister.”
“Brown's attitude is typical of this, and I live in his "fiefdom"!”
“Scotland is what Germans call Amigoland the kind of fiefdom the CSU has made Bavaria by hook and by crook”
“It was described to the engineer, and he was the de-facto explainer for the group, but seriously Childs was working for the gov't too long and had too many bad habits of "fiefdom" creation that are everywhere in city and state organizations.”
“Singh, a Lok Sabha member, has accused Kumar of overlooking genuine party workers and treating the party as his "fiefdom".”
“The partnership mentality exists there in a huge way, versus this "fiefdom" or "silo" mentality where people talk about "their business.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fiefdom’.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Words that are a pain in the ass to type in on a numerical keypad on a cell phone because they have consecutive letters that share the same button:
2 - ABC
3 - DEF
4 - GHI...
cool mint antiseptic
Words as I learn them.
put words in their place
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
New word list
Looking for tweets for fiefdom.