from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thoughtful or reflective state, especially if sad or melancholic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being pensive; serious thoughtfulness; seriousness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being pensive; gloomy thoughtfulness; melancholy; seriousness from depressed spirits.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. persistent morbid meditation on a problem
- n. deep serious thoughtfulness
pensive + -ness (Wiktionary)