from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Profuse expectoration of putrid matter.
- n. An abnormal pus-containing cavity, usually in a lung, caused by deterioration of tissue.
- n. The pus contained in such a cavity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An abscess cavity in the lungs or any other parenchymal organ.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An abscess cavity in the lungs.
- n. An abscess in any other parenchymatous organ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In medicine, a cavity in the lung, resulting from a pathological process, and containing pus.
Latin, gathering of pus, ulcer, from vomere, to vomit, discharge; see vomit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin, from vomere to throw up, vomit. (Wiktionary)