from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of amalgamating or the condition resulting from this act.
- n. A consolidation or merger, as of several corporations.
- n. The production of a metal alloy of mercury.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process of amalgamating; a mixture, merger or consolidation.
- n. The result of amalgamating; a mixture or alloy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or operation of compounding mercury with another metal; -- applied particularly to the process of separating gold and silver from their ores by mixing them with mercury.
- n. The mixing or blending of different elements, races, societies, etc.; also, the result of such combination or blending; a homogeneous union.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or operation of compounding mercury with another metal.
- n. The mixing or blending of different things, especially of races; the result of such mixing or blending; interfusion, as of diverse elements.
- n. Consolidation; specifically, the union of two or more incorporated societies or joint-stock companies into one concern or under one general direction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the combination of two or more commercial companies
We called the amalgamation of thinkers BLUEMIND and set out to explore the science behind the relationship between the human brain and the ocean.
The whole Conan/Terminator amalgamation is stupid enough, but hell, they might as well have added in Arnold's characters from Predator, Commando, Twins and Jingle All the Way while they were at it.
Jambalaya is often made with ham, so the word "jambalaya" may be an amalgamation of the French words "jambon" and "a la," and an African word, "yaya," which means rice, reflective of both cultural influences from people in the Louisiana area.
Whichever way this concoction settles the resulting amalgamation is pure brilliance, you really need to see this movie.
You have been told that amalgamation is a "fait accompli" -- that Metro already accounts for 72 per cent of the combined Metro -- municipality spending.
It has required a good deal of salesmanship to convince even the present number of supporters, to convince the present Council of the City of Toronto, that amalgamation is a useful and a forward step.
The bugbear of amalgamation is continually flaunted in the eyes of the people.
As if to illustrate that, Mr. Iwata recently gave a trade-show demonstration of a feature of the 3DS called "amalgamation," made possible because it has camera lenses that face both inward and outward.
This amalgamation was heralded as "the first step in creating a national, non-partisan, political organization of cultural workers ... that will markedly influence the Peace."
Movement reflects the portability aspect and convergence relates to the universality and amalgamation, which is what DP appears to be about.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.