from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A society or an association, especially a devotional or charitable society for the laity in the Roman Catholic Church.
- n. Fellowship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fraternity, a society or association.
- n. Companionship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fellowship or fraternity; a brotherhood.
- n. Specifically, a lay association for devotion or for charitable purposes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fraternity; confraternity: especially in use by Roman Catholics for a religious fraternity or society.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. people engaged in a particular occupation
French sodalité, from Old French, from Latin sodālitās, fellowship, from sodālis, companion; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the French sodalité or its etymon, the Latin sodālitās, from sodālis ("companion"). (Wiktionary)