from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the Episcopal Church.
- adj. Of or advocating church government by bishops.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An adherent of the Episcopal Churches of America or Scotland.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to bishops, or government by bishops; episcopal; specifically, of or relating to the Protestant Episcopal Church.
- n. One who belongs to an episcopal church, or adheres to the episcopal form of church government and discipline; a churchman; specifically, in the United States, a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to government by bishops; relating to episcopacy.
- [capitalized] Same as Episcopal, 2: as, the Episcopalian Church.
- n. Properly, one who belongs to an episcopal church, or adheres to the episcopal form of church government and discipline; popularly [capitalized], a member of the Anglican Church in general, but more especially of some branch of that church specifically called Episcopal. See episcopal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or pertaining to or characteristic of the Episcopal church
- n. a member of the Episcopal church
Sorry, no etymologies found.