American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A chiefly social organization of women students at a college or university, usually designated by Greek letters.
- n. An association or a society of women.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sisterhood, corresponding to fraternity: often applied to women's Greek letter societies.
- n. A group of girls or women associated for a common purpose; a sisterhood.
- n. US A social organization of female students at a college or university; usually identified by Greek letters.
- n. a social club for female undergraduates
- From Renaissance Latin sorōritās, from Latin soror ("sister"), from Proto-Indo-European *swésōr. (Wiktionary)
- Medieval Latin sorōritās, from Latin soror, sister; see swesor- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I love St.Jude. my sorority is partners with them and they do amazing work!”
“Here’s an example: Say a brother/sister in your fraternity or sorority is a finance major, and the company that you’re interning at posted an entry-level finance position.”
“I was a “Little Sister” there and her sorority was their favorite sorority for exchanges.”
“Stacie Turner sits in her living room with three women identified as her sorority sisters (she is a Delta Sigma Theta), back in town for Howard University Homecoming.”
“Forgive me, for when I left the city and moved upstate and never called the sorority girl who seduced me, and didn't call the girl I had a one night stand with because I was creeped out by her long, twiggy fingers.”
“ HA: You could call a sorority house and find out who's out with whom, who's”
“Among the secret practices of the sorority was a private signal only to be used in times of urgent necessity.”
“This is a Ladies of the Pink and Green Welcome Party in honor of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, which is having a convention July 9-16 in St. Louis.”
“Thirdly, it worried about the content of a ritual speaking to an older member of the sorority is a great option.”
“The sorority is a nonacademic organization dedicated to advancement of philanthropy and charity.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sorority’.
Words synonymous with 'group.'
Curious words having to do with women: positive or negative; feminine, observational, technical, weird, stupid, crass, etc. I loathe some of these words but I'm using this list as a catch-all... ev...
"House" words and phrases, literal and figurative. If another word comes before "house" in the phrase, it's listed on its own; if the phrase starts with "house," I've listed the part that comes aft...
Words about relations.
More-or-less organized groups of people, on a smaller scale than "the urban planner" list. I can't believe I hadn't made this list earlier!
Ought to incorporate this into my working vocabulary
Looking for tweets for sorority.