from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chiefly social organization of women students at a college or university, usually designated by Greek letters.
- n. An association or a society of women.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A group of girls or women associated for a common purpose; a sisterhood.
- n. A social organization of female students at a college or university; usually identified by Greek letters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sisterhood, corresponding to fraternity: often applied to women's Greek letter societies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a social club for female undergraduates
Medieval Latin sorōritās, from Latin soror, sister; see swesor- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Renaissance Latin sorōritās, from Latin soror ("sister"), from Proto-Indo-European *swésōr. (Wiktionary)