from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or relationship of being a sister or sisters.
- n. The quality of being sisterly.
- n. A society, especially a religious society, of women.
- n. Association or unification of women in a common cause.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the state, or kinship of being sisters
- n. the quality of being sisterly; sisterly companionship
- n. a religious society of women
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or relation of being a sister; the office or duty of a sister.
- n. A society of sisters; a society of women united in one faith or order; sisters, collectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being a sister; the relation of sisters; the office or duty of a sister.
- n. Sisters collectively, or a society of sisters; in religious usage, an association of women who are bound by monastic vows or are otherwise devoted to religious work as a vocation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a religious society of women who live together as sisters (especially an order of nuns)
- n. an association or society of women who are linked together by a common religion or trade or interest
- n. the kinship relation between a female offspring and the siblings
sister + -hood (Wiktionary)