from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Relationship by blood or by a common ancestor.
- n. A close affinity or connection.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A consanguineous or family relationship through parentage or descent. A blood relationship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The relation of persons by blood, in distinction from affinity or relation by marriage; blood relationship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Relationship by blood; the relationship or connection of persons descended from the same stock or common ancestor, in distinction from affinity, or relationship by marriage.
- n. In petrography, the genetic relationship existing between those igneous rocks of one locality which have been derived from a common parent magma by processes of differentiation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (anthropology) related by blood
Derived from Latin consanguinitas, from consanguineosus meaning "consanguineous", from com- meaning "together" + sanguineus meaning "of or pertaining to blood", from sanguis "blood" (Wiktionary)