from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Botany An outgrowth on the surface of an organ.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small outgrowth on the surface of a plant organ.
- n. The generation of such an outgrowth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any unusual outgrowth from the surface of a thing, as of a petal; also, the capacity or act of producing such an outgrowth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the production of outgrowths or appendages upon the surface of an organ.
- n. In ethnology, maternal relationship.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. line of descent traced through the maternal side of the family
- n. a natural projection or outgrowth from a plant body or organ
From Latin enatus (ēnātus) (from ēnāscor ("spring forth")) + English + -ion. (Wiktionary)