from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being a father.
- n. The qualities of a father.
- n. Fathers considered as a group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the state of being a father
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being a father; the character or authority of a father; paternity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being a father; the relation or authority of a father: as, the fatherhood of God.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the status of a religious leader
- n. the status of a father
- n. God when considered as the first person in the Trinity
- n. the kinship relation between an offspring and the father
From Middle English/father + -hood This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. (Wiktionary)