Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Almighty power; infinite power as an attribute of deity; hence, God himself. This attribute is in theology differentiated from the abstract idea of omnipotence, understood as capability of doing anything whatever (with no limitation from moral considerations), and is limited by the holiness of God, in accordance with which it is impossible for him to do wrong.
- n. Infinite resource; unbounded power.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of being omnipotent; almighty power; hence, one who is omnipotent; the Deity.
- n. Unlimited power of a particular kind.
- n. the state of being omnipotent; having unlimited power
“The Holy Father highlighted the importance of understanding that God's omnipotence is not an arbitrary power, because God is Good, He is Truth.”
“His omnipotence is the capacity to apply the DoShit method on any number of those variables directly and instantaneously, and change them, regardless of the laws of physic, regardless even of the dictates of causality and logic.”
“-- In this solemn and impressive prayer, in which they make public confession of their sins, and deprecate the judgments due to the transgressions of their fathers, they begin with a profound adoration of God, whose supreme majesty and omnipotence is acknowledged in the creation, preservation, and government of all.”
“I always thought the idea of omnipotence sounded really awesome.”
“As for omnipotence, that is not necessary (logically entailed) to the definition of First Cause.”
“Philosophical reflection upon the notion of omnipotence raises many puzzling questions about whether or not a consistent notion of omnipotence places limitations on the power of an omnipotent agent.”
“If the notion of omnipotence were found to be unintelligible, or incompatible with moral perfection, then traditional Western theism would be false.”
“If there are states of affairs that an omnipotent agent is powerless to bring about, then how is the notion of omnipotence intelligibly to be defined?”
“There is a tendency in politics to confuse authority with omnipotence, which is to think that might makes right.”
“Thus, His omnipotence is another phase of love inasmuch as the world is nothing else than the means for the establishment of the Kingdom of God.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘omnipotence’.
infallibility, inerrancy, communicable attr..., incommunicable at..., fortuitous incarn..., atonement, hypostatic union, mystical union, spirit-baptism, sanctification, indwelling, fruits of the Hol... and 90 more...
Looking for tweets for omnipotence.